A recent request from a Sylmar resident prompts me to post this recipe for the SYLMAR-tini, a signature cocktail I created for a Sylmar Chamber of Commerce Mixer back in 2006. The cocktail ingredients pay tribute to the area’s rich historical background. Read more below. Try the SYLMAR-tini; you’ll like it.
– Clear plastic Martini glasses with hollow stem (8 oz)
– Box of Lemonheads lemon drop hard candy
– 1 to 1-1/2 ounces Gin, Vodka, Tequila, or Bourbon
– 4 ounces Tampico brand Citrus Punch
– Black seedless grapes, washed and individually polished
(These are seasonal, usually late August; you can freeze them for later use in Sylmar-tinis)
– Lime, lemon & orange slices,
– Ice cubes or bagged ice
Add 3 lemon drop candies into the hollow stem of a plastic martini glass. Add ice cubes and favorite alcoholic liquid (skip for virgin drink). Top with Tampico citrus punch. Plop a black grape into the glass. Garnish with drink skewer of lime, lemon and orange slices.
The signature cocktail of Sylmar, the SYLMAR-tini was created by Jacky Walker for a Sylmar Chamber of Commerce mixer held at the San Fernando Pioneer Memorial Cemetery in Sylmar on Wednesday, October 27, 2006.
The Halloween theme of the evening was punctuated by Sylmar Chamber of Commerce members attending in costume and listening to a presentation “Why supporting a historic cemetery in Sylmar is good for your business.” The SYLMAR-tini accompanied several novelty appetizers, namely Witch Finger Sandwiches, Spider Doughnuts and Gut Salad.
The ingredients of the SYLMAR-tini were chosen to symbolically represent some of Sylmar’s historical past:
– Lemon drops and Tampico citrus punch symbolize the large citrus groves of lemons, oranges and limes that used to grow in Sylmar and the San Fernando Valley.
– Black seedless grapes substitute for the traditional Martini olive, and symbolize Sylmar’s olive history. Sylmar was once site of the world’s largest olive grove, and the area produced some of the world’s finest olive oil.
The SYLMAR-tini may be enjoyed any time of year, although they are perfect for balmy summer evenings watching our spectacular sunsets bounce off our beautiful foothills.
Happy Home Buying & Selling!
Ms. Jacky Walker
REALTOR® – DRE License #01124140
Century 21 All Moves
11011 Balboa Blvd.
Granada Hills, CA 91344
“Representing buyers and sellers of the San Fernando Valley lifestyle.”